Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Free Time in San Pedro

After a very busy first week of teaching, our group was able to enjoy some free time this past weekend. On Friday, after an obligatory dip in the hotel's pool to cool off after school (did I mention it's HOT here??), several of us biked across town and over the bridge to attend a local dance recital. While none of the dancers were my own students, there were some girls from Isla Bonita performing. I loved it! 

Baby Ballerinas
Preparing for grand jetes :)

On Saturday, most of our group biked over the bridge again for breakfast. We ate at a yoga retreat center called Ak'bol. I enjoyed a banana-pineapple smoothie made with fresh fruit while my breakfast was being made. I had an omelet and fry jacks, which are quickly becoming a new favorite! Fry jacks are pieces of dough that are deep-fried, and I enjoy mine dipped in honey! After breakfast we walked out on the dock below. Yoga classes are offered under the thatched roof, right out on the water! Because there were no classes being held at the time, we were able to jump off the dock and swim in the most amazingly clear, blue water I've ever seen.



After our swim, we biked down the beach to a palapa restaurant where there were tubes tied together in the water. After lounging in the tubes for a bit and enjoying the sunshine, we headed back to Pedro's. I snapped this picture on our way out.

Relaxation Time!

On Sunday there was a scheduled, island-wide power outage from around 7am-11am. When it got too hot to stay in my room, I ventured out with several others to find breakfast. Luckily, George's Kitchen was open! I ordered the Belizean Breakfast, just as I did when our group had its first breakfast together. It was just as delicious - if not more so - without power. 

Belizean Breakfast - fry jacks and honey, veggie eggs, potatoes, and bacon

Sunday afternoon we went to the weekly beach BBQ again at Caribbean Villas, which is owned by Peter of Pedro's Inn. After the BBQ, half of the group went "crocodile hunting" but I won't go until Sunday, April 14. I'll give more details on that after I experience it myself, but I will say that it's for education and conservation, and no crocodiles are harmed! 

Lovely view from the beach BBQ



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sammie, love that you went to the recital. Miss you. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! We all miss you too! Hope you're settling back into American life okay :)

      Delete